Aug 4, 2011 1:55pm
Re: FloydFest X Finale
I went with the VIP package this year. Well worth the $400 in my opinion. VIP got us early entry Wednesday at noon - the fest officially starts at 4:00PM on Thursday. We did have three sound check party passes Wed night to see Big Daddy Love, Bryan Elijah Smith and the Wild Hearts and The Mantras. Throughout the fest, we had several really good sets in the VIP tent: Jackass Flats, Blood Roots Barter, New Monsoon acoustic, DJ Williams Projekt, Big Something, Dirk Powell, and others.
- Two meals a day. We ate in the VIP/Artist tent and had an opportunity to mingle with the performers. On Friday I sat with Jack Casady, Barry Mitterhoff and Sam Cutler and just listened. (Sam is still wasted from the '60s). The food was really good. In years past I had always lugged in cooking gear and a big cooler and prepared my own meals and bartered a big plate of scrambled eggs and bacon or a brat or burger for beer tickets with the newbie hippies. Not having to pack all that stuff in was worth it. The vendor food was pretty good too - but one can only eat certified naturally grown, organic, gluten free, hermetically sealed black bean burritos, veggie wraps or falafels for so long. I did buy funnel cakes because fried dough and powdered sugar is a food group. I did barter 10 of my ghost peppers for 10 peaches and 10 apples at the on site farmer's market produce stand.
- Backstage access on the two stages with back stages - all the other stages are pretty much open and you can walk right up anyway.
- Side stage seating on the Main Stage (this alone made it worth it)
- Private camping area - on flat ground. Much improved over the other camping areas.
- Private showers
- And the almighty bottomless beer cup. Foothills Brewery, Starr Hill, Magic Hat, Breckenridge Brewery, Chateau Morrisette Vineyard and Woodchuck Cider were the standout vendors. I am still reconstructing the different brews I tried out. Some were better than others. There was also a real cute hippie chick dispensing kombuchi - I have no idea what it is/was other than some concotion of mushroom mold and black tea and is alledgedly good for you. Whatever, she was cute and it tasted pretty good.....